Monday, November 29, 2010

What's SO special about Japan

Hello loyal followers! As most of you should know by now, I'm an enormous fan of eighties music. Indeed, it makes up a good eighty percent or so of my ipod. On one of the many occasions while I was listening to that eighty perent or so of my ipod, I began to notice the strangest of patterns-almost every other song I played mentioned Japan. It was pretty insane. If you don't believe me, than...

A) Shame one you, haven't you learned by now that I'm always right?
B) Read the rest of this post. I'm sure you'll be convinced.

Some of the songs are more obvious than others. Take these three, you know they're going to be talking about Japan just by reading the title.

Here's song number one, which just to let you know, I'm in love with. Big In Japan by Alphaville

This song is just so perfect. But it really does rather put Japan in a negative light, but it does mention it, and thus fits in perfectly in this blog post.

Are you ready for obvious Japan song number two? This one, though it may not seem so, is slightly racey in my opinion. The song is Japanese Boy, by Aneka, one of the most famous English impersonator of a Japanese woman. And possibly the only one.

Isn't it great how she's as pale as snow and she's singing in a fake Japanese voice? And how the only possible description she can give of her boyfriend is that he's Japanese? But however racist the song may be, I still love it to bits and listen to it frequently.

The time has come for the last of our obvious Japan songs. It's really quite confusing, and makes no sense, but it says "Japanese" in a quazi-japanese accent about a hundred or so times, so it counts. Turning Japanes, by the Vapors.

What was with the English back then? Must they do an impression of a Japanese person?
I wonder if this was a drug song...It really makes no sense. Any ideas?

Now here's a much less obvious song. You've probably heard this song before, and didn't even notice the Japan reference. At least, that was the case with me, until I started actually listening to the lyrics rather than just half listening half dancing. It's time for Lies by the Thompson Twins, a recent obsession of mine.

I hate to strau from the subject, but it wouldn't be like me at all if I didn't comment on how extraordinarily creepy this video is. Especially the whole creepy female version of Mike Score coming closer and closer to the screen, eyes wide open and clad with the face of an angry hobo.

That's all I could find that was embedable, there would've been more, but the mean people at you-tube took away the embeding options for most of the videos I wanted to share. Youtube executives, if you are reading this, then I hope your happy. You denied an innocent, handsome, and lovely teenage boy of fullfilment of his ingenious idea for a blog post.

On that happy note, I hope you enjoyed the few songs I COULD post. Hope you all have a lovely day.

2 comments:

  1. Domo arigato, Mr. Roboto! Oh, another good one is "Godzilla" by Blue Öyster Cult...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they all thought they were being original by mentioning Japan without really realizing how typical it is! I loved the idea for the blog. It's nice to know what you're listening to!

    ReplyDelete